How to Obtain a Death Certificate
Death certificates are filed in the town or village where that individual passed away; eg. Brookhaven, Smithtown, Huntington, etc. In most cases, family members have to re-order copies with the clerk's office directly. We strongly suggest calling the Clerk's Office in that town or village to see what they require before going to their office.
Town of Broohaven ... (631) 451-9122
Village of Patchogue ... (631) 475-4300
Village of Bellport ... (631) 286-0327
Town of Smithtown ... (631) 360-7620
Town of Huntington ... (631) 351-3206
Town of Southampton ... (631) 287 - 5740
New York City (all 5 Bouroughs)
Toll Free Phone Number 1-800-772-1213
Local Social Security Office: 75 Oak Street, Patchogue, NY 11772
Robertaccio Funeral Home, Inc. notifies Social Security with Form SSA-721 – “Statement of Death by a Funeral Director”
Lump Sum Death Benefit – One Time Payment of $255
A one-time payment of $255 may be paid to a surviving spouse living with the deceased or if living apart, was receiving certain Social Security benefits on the deceased’s record. If there is no surviving spouse, this may be paid to a dependent child.
Certain Family Members May be Eligible for Monthly Benefit
- Widow or widowers age 60 or older (50 if disabled)
- Surviving spouse of any age who is caring for the deceased’s child under the age of 16 (or disabled)
- An unmarried child of the deceased who is younger than age 18
- age 18-19 if a full time student or a child 18-22 if disabled before the age of 22
- Parents age 62 or older who were dependent on the deceased for at least half their support
Please Contact Social Security directly for Questions on Eligibility and Claims
Everything you need to know about funerals.
How to truly support yourself and others at a time of grief.
Let us guide you through the ins and outs of your funeral experience.
Local resources for all your support and planning needs.